I have always been wondering how to say ‘Someone said..’ in Korean. In a usual conversation it is common to quote a person for saying something. I have not read about this lesson yet so I asked my language exchange partner (LEP) how to say it in Korean.
There are two ways to say this according to my LEP:
- 말했는데 – malhaenunde (formal)
- 그러던데 – geureodeonde (informal)
The pattern is subject + 말했는데 or 그러던데+ the thing or event that has been said. This post is triggered by someone saying that Jinhae (a place in Korea) is a very beautiful place to visit during spring because of cherry blossoms. Then i asked my self how do I say that in Korean?
My friend said the place is really beautiful –> 내 친구 말했는데 거기 정말 아름다운 곳이래. The sentence can be broken down as follows:
- 내 친구 (nae chingu) – my friend
- 말했는데 (malhaeneunde) – said
- 거기 (kogi) – there, referring to a place
- 정말 (chongmal) – truly or really
- 아름다운 (areum daeun) – beautiful
- 곳이래 (koshirae) – place
I am so happy I learned this sentence pattern.